Zeppole (Italian Fried Dough with Sugar & Cinnamon)
- Vince & Joe's pizza dough thawed & divided into 4 pieces
- Vegetable oil
- Cinnamon sugar 3 parts sugar to 1 part cinnamon
- Powdered sugar
- Extra virgin olive oil or butter
- Small spicy-sweet crisp apples (jonagold, crispin, honeycrisp) peeled, cored, & sliced
- Granulated sugar
- Ground cinnamon
1. Heat about 3 inches of vegetable oil (375ºF).
2. Roll out dough to a golf ball size or flatten to about a 4 inch disk.
3. Fry in batches. When golden brown on one side, turn and brown on other side.
4. Drain on absorbent paper towels.
5. While still warm. roll in cinnamon sugar.
Caramelized Apple Topping Directions:
1. Heat olive oil or melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the apples to the pan and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
3. Sauté the apples, stirring frequently, for 6-8 minutes, until they just start to turn tender.
4. Sprinkle the apples with the remaining sugar and cinnamon.
5. Toss the mixture gently and cook over medium heat for an additional 2 minutes, until the sugar begins to caramelize and the apples are crisp-tender.
6. Transfer the apples from the skillet to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
Plate Zeppole while still warm, top with warm caramelized apples and dust with powdered sugar.
Eat while still warm. Enjoy!