Ragu Alla Napoletana
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chuck beef cut into 1 inch cubes
- Veal shoulder cut into 1 inch cubes
- Pork shoulder cut into 1 inch cubes
- Yellow onion small dice
- Red wine
- Whole tomatoes pulsed in a food processor
- Garlic, fresh
- Red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
1. In a large Dutch oven or deep skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the beef, veal
and pork. Sprinkle with salt. Cook for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Add the
onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is golden and the meats are browned
on all sides, about 15 minutes more.
2. Add the wine and cook until it evaporates, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and red
pepper flakes. And, simmer, stirring often, for 2-1/2 hours, or until the sauce is thick
enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon and the meat is tender.
3. Use a slotted spoon to remove the meat from the sauce. Reserve for another dish, serve
the meat separately as a second course or chop the meat and return it to the sauce.
Season with salt and pepper and toss the pasta with the sauce. Top with grated cheese
and pass more cheese at the table.